Page

County

Online.com

 

Luray

Online.com

 

Luray.net
Click here for information on Mountain-Getaways...
 

AREA ATTRACTIONS

 

Caverns Country Club    

(540) 743-6551

A public facility 1 mile west of Luray Caverns. 18-hole championship golf course with 6,499 yards of gently rolling fairway, large trees and greens. Four hard surfaced tennis courts. Golf Vacation Packages available.

Luray Caverns     (540) 743-6551

Luray Caverns were discovered by Andrew J. Campbell & Benton P. Stebbins in 1878.  It is an "active" cave, still in the process of formation.  Luray Caverns occupies 64 acres.  Professionally guided tours are approximately one mile in length and last around 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.  Luray Caverns is the largest, most popular caverns in the East. US Registered Natural Landmark.  Many outstanding features including Great Stalacpipe Organ along with the historic Car & Carriage Caravan Museum featuring rare antique autos. Food and gifts. Luray Caverns is located on US Hwy 211 West in Luray.  Convenient to I-81 and Shenandoah National Park.

The White House   The White House  takes its name from the small white building which can be seen today, located near the present-day White House Bridge on US Hwy 211 West. This early structure was the first home and a meeting house of settler Martin Kauffman.  The White House is one of Page County's most well-known landmarks.  It is frequently mentioned in Civil War writings, especially those by Stonewall Jackson.  The house is constructed out of stone and is covered with lime and sand mortar on the outside. 

White House Bridge  This important river crossing has seen many bridges over the years.  Around 1808, a wooden covered bridge was built, but was destroyed by a windstorm in 1850.  In 1851, a new covered bridge was built.  The White House Bridge played an important role in the Civil War during  Stonewall Jackson's "Valley Campaign of 1862."   On June 2, 1862 at 4 a.m., an hour before the arrival of Union forces attempting to overtake and block the forces of General "Stonewall" Jackson, The White House Bridge was burned in order to stop the Union ambush.  A third covered bridge was built after the Civil War, however it was washed away in the 1870 flood.  From 1870 to 1910, passage across the river was done so by ferry boat.  The fifth bridge, this time of steel & concrete was built in 1946.  In 1972, another bridge was built to carry east bound lane traffic.

Featured Business

 

Luray Wranglers
Country Blessings
Foltz's Auto Service
Luray Antique Mall
Charles J. Locke, M.D.
Luray Tire Center
CompCARE
Kay's Hair Gallery
Hillside Motors, Inc.
Luray Copy Service
A Moment To Remember Cafe
Bill Turner, Inc.
Fran's Bookkeeping
Woodruff Inns
Mystic Pet Resort / Spa
Sharon's Hair Fair
Page Valley Vet Clinic
Farm Bureau
Vivian's Flower Shop

Tom's Auto Repair

Lake Arrowhead      (540) 743-5511

Lake Arrowhead offers area's largest white sand swimming beach, fishing, boating, picnic shelters, volleyball, nature trails, scenic mountain settings.

Hawksbill Recreation Park     (540) 778-3434

A 28 acre serene park facility offering volleyball, horseshoes, softball, swimming, 3 picnic shelters, and banquet room.

 

Luray Reptile Center 

(540) 743-4113

Half acre petting zoo with pygmy goats, tame deer, donkeys, llamas. Exotic wild animals. Virginia's largest reptile collection. Alligators, tropical birds. Gift-Nature shop.

Luray Singing Tower

(540) 743-6551

The official name of the Luray Singing Tower is the "Belle Brown Northcott Memorial."  This contains a carillon of 47 bells and was given as a gift to the town of Luray by the late Col. T.C. Northcott and his his daughter, Mrs. Katherine Northcott Graves, in Memory of Col. Northcott's wife, Belle Brown Northcott.  It was dedicated in 1937.  Free, live concerts.

Shenandoah National Park    (540) 999-3500 

While visiting Page County, be sure to take time to visit Shenandoah National Park.  Whether you like hiking or sightseeing, Shenandoah National Park has a myriad of activities for which you can participate.  Shenandoah National Park covers around 300 square miles or 197,389 acres!  The highest peak in the Park is 4,000 feet.  You will take many memories home with you, such as those of exquisite waterfalls, interesting wildlife, a breathtaking sunset or a wonderful hike.  More than 100 varieties of trees, 1,100 species of plants, and 200 species of birds inhabit the Shenandoah National  Enjoy fine dining and lodging in Shenandoah National Park, also.  Admission fee is $10 per car for a 7 day pass.  For more information, call (540) 999-3500 or visit www.nps.gov/shen for the official website of Shenandoah National Park.

Massanutten School  (540-743-3915)  

This school was in use from 1875-1937. The one-room school was moved from its original site in 1972, and was restored and furnished.  Inside the schoolhouse are sixteen original double desks, a cast iron stove dating back at least one hundred years, a handmade teacher's desk and chair,  an 1880 school house bell and numerous photos and mementoes.  A flag pole used during the Civil War stands outside the school. Open by appointment only.

Willow Grove Mill at Old Mundellsville, located at the west branch of the Hawksbill Creek is typical of flour mills found in the Page County area in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  The place is now known as Willow Grove Mill. Flour was produced here from about 1885 to 1943.  The Willow Grove Mill is located on US Hwy 340 South toward Stanley.

Stevens Cottage  This was the original office of Shenandoah Land and Improvement Company during the 1800's railroad boom.  It was  later used as a printing office and after that a private school.  The cottage was purchased by Mary & Edna Stevens, who were sisters, as a private residence in 1902.  After their death, the cottage was purchased by the Shenandoah Heritage Center in 1974 and is listed on the Virginia Historic and National Historic Landmarks Registry.  The cottage serves a satellite office for the Chamber of Commerce during the summer and fall months. Stevens Cottage is located in Shenandoah.

Hamburg Country Store   (540-743-3915) 

Take a stroll back in time by visiting this refurbished country store.  Experience the outing of going shopping in rural Page County in the 1940's.  The store was established in the early 1900's.  Located on Hamburg Road in Luray.  Open Saturdays from Memorial to Labor Day 10:00-4:00 p.m. or by appointment. 

Calendine   Calendine was built in 1840 for a gentleman by the name of Townsend Young, who ran a general store and stagecoach stop. Calendine is best known as the residence of the renowned Barbee family. William Randolph Barbee (1818-1868) was famed as a classic sculptor. His work was highly praised, and Mr. Barbee was commissioned to complete the frieze on the west wing of the U.S. Capitol. However, the outbreak of the Civil War interrupted his work on the U.S. Capitol and he was never able to resume.  Calendine was acquired in 1988 by the Page County Heritage Association.  It is presently being used as the Page County Heritage Museum.   Calendine is located on Hamburg Road in Luray.

The Confederate Monument  William Randolph Barbee's (see Calendine above) son, Herbert Barbee, (1848-1936) was a renowned sculptor like his father.  He studied Art in Italy and returned to America, where he had numerous studios, one of which was in Luray, located in the adjacent store to Calendine. His legacy to Page County is the Confederate Monument.  It was unveiled on July 21, 1898.  The Confederate Monument is located on East Main Street in Luray.

Massanutten Monument  This 25 foot obelisk of native Massanutten sandstone w3as erected in 1929 in memory of the first settlers in the area.  It is located on US Hwy 211 W.

Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.     (540) 743-4159
Canoe! Tube! Fish, Swim, Sun, Fun! Canoe, Tube and Kayak rentals for flat water to beginner whitewater on the beautiful Shenandoah River. Transportation and map included. Lunches and steak dinners by reservation. Tent campground, cabin rental and overnight canoeing available.

Page County Courthouse  The County of Page was established in March of 1831.  The first Court was held on May 23, 1831.  Two months later, a tract of land was deeded from Gabriel Jordon for a new courthouse and jail.  The courthouse was completed on December 23, 1833.   It is listed on the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register.

The Train Station at Luray  The Railway Station at Luray was built by the Shenandoah Valley Railway Company during the late 1800's.  It is currently under restoration. 

Catherine Furnace  Was named after Catherine Forrer, who's family owned the iron works around the town of Shenandoah.  It is one of the best preserved remnants of the charcoal-fired iron industry.  Catherine Furnace supplied metal for nails, horseshoes, farm implements and other items important to the surrounding region and helped supply the gun works at Harpers Ferry, was credited with shot and shell used in the Mexican campaign of 1846-1848, and Catherine's product was used in the service of the Confederacy in the Civil War.  Catherine Furnace is located off of US Hwy 340 South in Shenandoah.

Your own Business Website here

on Luray.net for only $96/year!

Call (540) 860-1393

Click for Luray, Virginia Forecast

 

 

Virginia Lottery Website

 

 FREE 

Classifieds! 

 


Site Designed and Built by:

Henry Engineering Services 98, 99, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

(540) 860-1393